Considering my last blog was mostly about announcing my project. I decided to finally make a blog post dedicated to updates. Especially since it was getting more annoying to add to it since there was so much stuff on one page. :P
Any changes and progress will be posted here instead of the other one.
The latest version is Version 12
- Bunch of changes to lighting system (Reliability Wise)
- Bunch of changes to shadow system (Reliability Wise)
- Completely changed melee system (Swings are more natural)
- Experimenting with Tileset templates (Not going well, I really hate tiles)
- Can now go into buildings
- Interior lighting is separate from exterior
- Temporarily disabled detailed tooltip in inventory. (Will soon be a screen with even MORE info)
- Some adjustments to the walking animation (Not sure about this)
- Slightly dynamic menu animations (Dependant on container size)
- Replaced hilarious enemy audio. :(
- If you don't have anything equipped, YOU CAN PUNCH!
- Added VSync to options menu (Start Menu options still not in. :P)
- Screen is centered on character now. Freelook can be toggled with Ctrl.
-Tons and tons of other small things I can't remember
The latest version is Version 11
-Enemies can now drop items
-Created colored lighting system
-Lighting system is now tied to time of day (It didn't use to be, it just got darker or lighter as time passed. Changing the time wouldn't actually change the lighting)
-You can change the time of day with the scroll wheel (Just for testing, of course)
-Shadows now move according to the time of day as well.
-Shadow position is tied to time of day as well.
-Enemies actually look like enemies
-Felt like drawing stuff so I drew some art for the inventory.
-Usable equipment slots have icons to show what goes there.
-Enemy AI is better and you can see their aggro distances and where they're looking (Temporary, of course)
-There's now a button to open and close inventory on screen.
-Added a hit stop effect (weapon slows down due to impact on enemy)
-You can't use weapons on both hands at the same time anymore
The latest version is Version 13
- Changed movement system so it's not possible to walk faster diagonally anymore
- Made it possible to change the contents of chests after they've been created. (Allows for randomization of contents at any time. Possibly for a gambling mechanic?)
- Correctly liked character speed with speed of walking animation.
- Added dynamic animation to character's feet
- Added dynamic animation to arms and body. Can attack, run, and walk fluidly
- Created a tileset mask I don't hate
- Spent a couple hours last night actually making some art for this thing. It doesn't look dreadful anymore. (In my opinion)
- Revamped UI Look
- Added durability to weapons and spells. Can see current durability when equipped or in inventory
- Made it possible to change direction of inventory transition really easily.
- Added more scenery in the world like plants.
- Redid the sounds (Again)
- Items now have sounds attached to them so they all sound differently when used or picked up.
- Added ability to have particle effects on weapons. (like a fire sword)
- Added a fire sword to test this out
- Added currency to the engine. I haven't decided if you should have it be separate from the inventory or not though.
- Added transitions to healthbar damage for enemies so it's easier to see how much damage was done to them.
- A bunch of other things that I forgot to put here because It's been a long times since I've updated this.
The latest version is Version 14
- Worked on making the menus a bit less uggo
- Added settings menu to title screen
- Added parallax effect to some objects in the world. (I don't know why I love this so much)
- Small tweaks to damage dealing system. (Still In progress. Still need to implement armor)
- Added ability to change the sound levels (Having a lot of trouble with this on objects with Game Makers positional audio system. Might need to make my own...)
- Added audio menu to settings so you can actually change the sounds. (For some reason, zero means go back to full volume. I have no idea why.)
- Added new floor type with new sounds. Wood.
- Changed the looting sounds so looting a bunch of stuff isn't as annoying
- Fixed a bug that made the framerate go crazy low for a second. (Had to do with shadows)
- Areas can have ambient audio now. The house in the map has some creepy ambient noise that doesn't belong to me since I didn't create it. Just there for proof of concept. I'll replace it with my own audio as soon as possible. For some reason, it doesn't play the first time you go in the house, so you have to go back out and in. Sounds pretty nice. Almost sad I can't keep it. :P
- Refined the idle audio system for enemies.
- Inventory system is now more card like. More info can be seen at once.
- Enemies now have proper death noises with sound fade and everything. :P\
- Reworked equipment and weapon system... Again. Now only need one weapon animation script for both hands!
- Added changing mouse cursor system. I don't know why, but it makes it much more satisfying to pick up items and move them in the inventory.
- Character now has momentum. It takes him a step or two to get to full speed.
- More stuff I'm probably forgetting. Might add later
- Added a leveling system. lol. How did I forget that?
PS: I'd really like to know what kind of framerates you guys are getting. (Not to mention your specs)