Posted on February 07, 2017 at 09:17
A few weeks ago, I had a terrifying realization: the font I was using literally everywhere in my game is not free
. I did not even think about that when I was designing all of my UI code.
This sent me into a panic, and I spent about two weeks scouring the internet for good font options that were royalty free. I don't really have a budget for my project, and I'm not about to drop thousands on a font license. So, I took to the web and found a few (actually, found a lot but most of them were not a good fit).
After finally settling on a couple of fonts and fixing up my UI layouts to work with them, I was back on track. Though, I was thinking a lot more about my UI and how it is basically just white on black, and figured I should probably do literally anything but that.
Long story short, see screenshot above. It's a rev 1, but it is already lightyears beyond the black box / white outline situation I had going on before.
I'm feeling pretty good about the UI overall so far. The HUD itself could use some tweaks and polish, but that will all come with iteration as the game itself becomes more polished over time.
Though it has recently ballooned after an extensive playtest of my own, my Trello to-do list is slimming down for the next external playtest. I still don't think its ready for any kind of open beta test, but I'm encouraged by y'alls kind words so far, so keep in touch if you're interested when that time comes.
More to come after I get this playtest out the door. I'd like to finish my work on the website soon enough so I can begin actually publicizing.