Introducing Scary4Digits 2014
Posted on September 01, 2014 at 12:41 AM
STARTS: September 20th, 2014 -- 00:00 UTC
ENDS: November 9th, 2014 -- 23:59 UTC
Each entrant will be assigned 3 random themes.
LIST OF ASSIGNED THEMES
It is with great pleasure that I am hosting the 4th annual Scary4Digits game development competition. Since 2011, Scary4Digits has been a staple competition of the community held through the month of October; it is but once a year that the community comes together to make and play each others' games on Halloween night, and this year won't be any different.
This year's competition gives you 41 days and nights to create something spooktacular, but also brings a twist when it comes to the theme. Historically, a single theme has been given and all entrants were required to use it in their creations, but this year... this year it's different.
3 themes will be assigned to each entrant (entrant in this case being a solo developer or team of developers) at random. Entrants will be required to create a game that utilizes these themes, and all themes will be fully open to interpretation.
Teams are allowed, though teams must have a name which must be given by each participant within the team at sign-up.
Sign-up for Scary4Digits by filling out this form. All participants MUST have an account on the site and MUST fill out this form.
NOTE: All participants will receive a free trial for Unity 4 Pro for the duration of the competition.
List of Themes You Might Be Assigned (Show)
The Rules of Scary4Digits (Show)
1. Only one entry per participant. Participants may not enter a solo project and work on a team project, nor may they enter multiple team projects or solo projects. If a participant is involved with the creation of multiple entries, all entries will be disqualified.
2. All participants must have an account at 64digits.com.
3. Anyone may be a part of a team so long as their participation is stated prior to the end of the competition. All other rules also apply.
4. Work on an entry MUST NOT begin prior to the start date and time of September 20th, 2014 00:00 UTC, though engines created prior to the start date that were not created specifically for the entry are permitted.
5. All game assets must be original and never before used in a previously released project. This does not apply to tools, engines, etc. Participants must have permission to use any content that is not their own.
6. All engines, programming languages, and platforms are permitted as long as the entry runs on the latest version of Windows.
7. Entries do not have to be in a completely finished state to be eligible for entry, though they must be playable and more than just a tech demo. You have 40 days - I hope you can make something more than a tech demo.
8. Entries may not contain offensive or malicious material.
9. Entries MUST be submitted to 64digits.com using "S4D14" as the genre by the November 9th, 2014 23:59 UTC deadline.
10. All entrants must cast votes during the judgment/voting period to be eligible to win. Entrants may not vote for their own entries.
11. Themes are NOT optional. If you do not like the themes assigned, try to think outside the box and be creative. As long as your entry uses the themes in some way, it will be eligible for entry.
12. The host reserves the right to revise the rules and disqualify entrants/entries if deemed necessary.
*13. You must use the #Scary4Digits and/or #S4D14 hashtags when referring to your entry on the various social media platforms that support the use of hashtags.
*This is not actually required, but would be neat if you could use them.
Submission and Voting (Show)
To submit your entry, you must use the game submission system on 64Digits and set the game's genre to "S4D14", and then send me a PM as notification that your entry has been submitted. There will be two rounds of voting, the first of which starting on November 1st. All participants MUST vote during both periods to avoid being disqualified. The method of voting will be determined at a later date.
Thanks to the generosity of the community, we've got some prizes to distribute to the winners of the competition. They might not be much, but they are what they are.
Construct 2 Business License OR 6-month Unity Pro Subscription
$30 worth of Steam games (of your choosing)
A 1st place S4D14 badge
Construct 2 Business License OR 6-month Unity Pro Subscription (depending on 1st place choice
$10 worth of Steam games (of your choosing)
A 2nd place S4D14 badge
A 3rd place S4D14 badge
Prizes are being donated by the following:
CyrusRoberto - $200
Scirra - Construct 2 Business License
SpectreNectar - $60 cash & $40 Steam games
Note: Prizes are obviously subject to change.
List of Entrants (Show)
This year, Scary4Digits is going social! Follow @Scary4Digits
on Twitter for the latest information regarding the competition, and use the #S4D14
hashtags when posting about your entry to connect with other Scary4Digiters!