Typing

Posted by F1ak3r on June 5, 2012, 10:32 a.m.

Since last Wednesday I've been teaching myself to type properly – that is, to use all ten fingers and not look at the keyboard (touch type) instead of hopping around the keyboard with between two and five fingers like I've been doing for most of my life.

Not that my previous typing speed was abysmally slow, or anything – when you've spent a few years writing overlong, overdetailed blog entries, you tend to get decently speedy with your typing, however inefficient. My two finger speed is around 50 word per minute, which, while not really being "fast" has basically been good enough for a number of years now. By contrast, my week-old touch typing skills are only getting me up to a somewhat-infuriating 30 wpm, largely thanks to a good deal of mistypes and backspaces and a few pauses to remember where the keys are and get my finger position correct. I'm still hitting the Y and B keys with the wrong fingers fairly regularly, and the right Shift took some getting used to.

But that's 30 wpm after 6 days of irregular practice with a wholly unfamiliar way of moving my fingers around, which I think is a pretty good return on investment. A few more weeks/months and I should reach and surpass my old two finger rate.

Probably the hardest thing about learning to type properly was the really uncomfortable feeling of slow uselessness I encountered in the first few days, when I was forcing myself to type properly in everything I did as a way of practicing. Replying to messages and posting comments was an exercise in frustration at maybe ten words per minute with countless screwups, and the allure of my old methods was as great as it was destructive.

Go back to typing with two fingers, it's easier and faster! You know you want to…

Somehow, I resisted, and it's slowly starting to feel weird and wrong to type the way I used to.

My fingers hurt a bit though. My little fingers especially aren't used to this sort of a workout. I suppose it'll go away in time, though.

So how have you been, 64Digits?

Comments

Eva unit-01 12 years ago

This is why it's best to learn to type wayyyy early on. Trust me, one typing class, or forcing yourself to do it the right way for a few months will make this second nature to you.

I'm doin' pretty good mang.

NeutralReiddHotel 12 years ago

I have bad habits. For example, I only ever only use my left shift key. My right shift key remains unused forever. I also don't know the numbers above the keyboard by memory, nor where the period, comma, and question mark are. I have to look for them.

My typing speed's pretty good, but it would be awesome if I could ever get rid of some bad habits that might improve my speed.

Castypher 12 years ago

I don't use my right shift key either. And right control serves little purpose other than acting as my push-to-talk key.

Astryl 12 years ago

I kinda learned to touchtype, but not the normal way. Once my hand brushes any part of the keyboard, I just know where the keys are, except on those accursed Microsoft keyboards with the weird shapes.

I can do 'normal' touchtyping, but I don't get anywhere near as much speed that way.

Quietus 12 years ago

Quote:
For example, I only ever only use my left shift key. My right shift key remains unused forever.
this used to piss off my typing teacher like nothing else. which was equally annoying to me, cause i was like "you're arguing about the only key that has a duplicate -_-"

i'm quite surprised you don't type normally F1ak3r, considering the amount of semi-long blogs you've managed to post over time.

F1ak3r 12 years ago

Quote: Eva-unit-01
This is why it's best to learn to type wayyyy early on. Trust me, one typing class, or forcing yourself to do it the right way for a few months will make this second nature to you.
Quote: hel
this used to piss off my typing teacher like nothing else. which was equally annoying to me, cause i was like "you're arguing about the only key that has a duplicate -_-"
I've heard they teach typing at schools. Too bad mine didn't.

Quote: reidd
I also don't know the numbers above the keyboard by memory, nor where the period, comma, and question mark are. I have to look for them.
Gertrude Stein would approve.

Quote: hel
i'm quite surprised you don't type normally F1ak3r, considering the amount of semi-long blogs you've managed to post over time.
Yeah, it's pretty weird.

Quote: Mega
I kinda learned to touchtype, but not the normal way. Once my hand brushes any part of the keyboard, I just know where the keys are, except on those accursed Microsoft keyboards with the weird shapes.

I can do 'normal' touchtyping, but I don't get anywhere near as much speed that way.
That is pretty damn impressive.

Out of interest, I've been using this site to learn. Oh, the beauty of Google searches!

Alert Games 12 years ago

I still don't type properly, even after a typing class. I'm just decently fast now that I've been typing since forever.